Saturday, March 12, 2011

Downtown Dining Week Part I: Wildflower Grill for Lunch

My co-worker and I decided to go out for lunch during Downtown Dining Week to partake in the specials offered during the 9 days. I've been to Wildflower Grill twice before this time and wasn't overly impressed with their food, despite good reviews and other positive comments from friends. Wildflower happened to be within walking distance (less than 5 minutes) from our workplace out of the other restaurants taking part in Dining Week, so I decided I'd give it another shot. 

My co-worker has never been here before, so I thought it would be a nice chance for her to try it. Prior to arrival, I had already known what I wanted to order off their $15 online lunch menu:  Pan Seared Striped Bass. My co-worker opted for the Churassco Mesquite Grilled Flat Iron Steak with fries as her side.


The wait wasn't too long, considering it was quite a busy lunch crowd. When my dish arrived, I was surprised by the portion of my fish. The size of the two pieces of fish were roughly the size of my index and middle finger put together, piled on top of the vegetable confit and baby potatoes. The pile wasn't that high either. The bass was crisp on the outside, but didn't really have a fishy taste to it. The fennel and onion confit underneath the bass was quite good. Underneath the confit were small baby potatoes covered in a creamy brown butter sauce. After finishing this dish, I couldn't believe I was still hungry. My friend didn't really enjoy her dish immensely; there wasn't anything special about the steak, and the waitress gave her fries (which were merely burnt) instead of the salad she had asked for.
My Pan Seared Striped Bass.


Churassco Mesquite Grilled Flat Iron Steak with the (burnt) fries.
As mentioned before, I have never been too impressed with this place. I went here for lunch two years ago with a friend, and evening appetizers with two of my girlfriends last year. This time wasn't any different from the others. The service has been okay in the past; this time it was mediocre--she seemed to forget about us the whole time we were there. Though the food was pretty good, the portion sizes are too small and too expensive for what I would pay for. And, I was still hungry after lunch. 


Verdict: pretty scrumptious

No comments:

Post a Comment