Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Famous, greasy donairs in Halifax.

Halifax, Nova Scotia


I am sure most Canadians now know that Nova Scotia, specifically Halifax has the best donairs in the country. They have a large population of people who speak Lebanese who have immigrated here from Lebanon years ago. Donairs originate from Lebanon and is probably one of their most celebrated foods. Donairs consist of marinated and seasoned beef meat that's been processed to look like a huge log. They are then put on a large, rotating roaster lengthwise and kept on low heat to keep the meat at a warm and consistent temperature. They are wrapped in pita bread, topped with onions, tomatoes and of course the signature donair sauce. This sauce has a mayonnaise texture, but is a lot sweeter and has a special spice to it, which of course give the donairs it's signature taste.


My boyfriend and I were heading to Wolfville and I wanted to stop by Halifax because I've never been. We only had about an hour to kill so unfortunately, we didn't make it to down town Halifax. But not to worry. There were little donair joints in and around town. We set our GPS to the closest King of Donair. We followed and it led us to one in a shopping centre (hey, didn't Trailer Park Boys film part of an episode in King of Donair?)


I was only interested in getting a donair and nothing else. They separate the donairs by pound a price. 1/4 lb, 1/2 lb, etc. We shared the 1/2 lb for $6.99 with the works on it (onions, tomatoes). It ended up being a little over $8 because of the darn HST. We sat down by, in what I think, the world's largest portable fan. This thing was massive and awesome for a beautiful day like this in Halifax. And then our donair was ready. Holy man is that loads of greasy meat. And then some. Topped with tomatoes and onions and that special sauce. Wow, that really does have a lot of flavour to it. The meat was salty and spicy. Tomatoes and onions always taste good, but the combination of the sweetness from the sauce helps balance out the saltiness of the meat.

It was pretty good. Wayyyyy too greasy though. I don't know if I'll rave about it because I've had donairs that my mom has made and they are honestly tasty, minus the extra 1/2 lb meat on top. But at least I can say I've tried a super greasy and somewhat satifisfying-for-the-tastebuds donair the Haligonians rave about.

Verdict: pretty scrumptious

No comments:

Post a Comment